Which misdemeanors will prevent you from getting an apartment.

Salt Lake City, UT |
Filed under: Criminal defense

My boyfriend and I are in desperate need of a place to live but he has four class B misdemeanor charges that come out on his background check they are seperate charges; one is for criminal mischeif, one is for vandalism, one is for trespassing, and the last is for minor consumpton. He has paid all his fine, been to court, and rehab. He received these charges 1-2 years ago but he is only 20 and cannot get his record exsponged until he is 21. Can we be denied residency for his charges? What can we do to not be denied?

Check with a variety of apartment complexes and find out what their policies are. Some apartment complexes rent to individuals with prior felony convictions who have just been released from prison. Others may not be comfortable with that. It is up to the complex.

There is nothing you can do except try with as many landlords as possible. Some are going to care more about misdemeanor convictions than others. As you said he cannot get any of these expunged until 3 years has passed, so for now try as many landlords as you can.