Which lawyer i need to contact if the accident is my fault and exceeds autocoverage limit for other driver injured in accident?

Nashville, TN |

I have involved into accident in rental car and accident was my fault and i had auto coverage for the other driver about 1 million. He is still in the hospital from past 5 weeks.So the rental company is expecting the bill will be more than a million.Does he get covered by both his own auto and medical insurance after it exceeds that million dollars. Do i get sued by him.So what to do in that situation which lawyer(like civil or auto accident lawyers etc..) will be able t to help me in this situation. I am really not sure what his medical are at now current.This accident is happened due to severe weather condition(raining heavily at the time of accident) . so i was really unable to see whose fault was at the time of accident.

I do not have any personal car so i did not had any auto insurance coverage. I had is enterprise Supplemental Liability Coverage about 1 million only during the rental period. So do i need to talk with enterprise now about this issue. Will they provide any legal defense in this scenario. All they were saying is they cover upto 1 million what ever the situation is after they won't care about it and which lawyer i need to contact civil or criminal lawyer and i do not have personal assets to protect.

Enterprise's insurance will cover you up to one million. Anything over that is your responsibility since you did not have insurance. Speak to a civil attorney (most attorneys who handle personal injury cases can advise you what to do) about your options. Typically the other driver will often settle for the policy limits of whatever insurance is out there (the one million from Enterprise and perhaps the driver's own insurance policy) and not come after you personally for your assets. This is especially likely if you do not have significant assets. But it would likely be worthwhile to discuss the issue with an attorney.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.

2. Uh oh -- this sounds grave. You need to talk to your carrier about sitting down with one of their house counsel to discuss your rights and needs.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

3. Contact your insurance company and let them assign a lawyer to defend you. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

4. Best bet is to retain local independent counsel to get proper representation to protect your interests and assets

5. Your own insurance company needs notice right away. Their duty includes handling any claim and providing a legal defense to you if it comes to a lawsuit. Get all of the claim information from your insurance company. Find out now if there is any potential for a verdict above your coverage, and if so take all the information to an attorney of your own. Read the section titled 'Legal Defense' in this article: BLUE LINK BELOW

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

6. Here's a little secret--lawyers typically do not go after individuals. You mention that you have very little. So getting a judgment against you would be largely a waste of time. It's the insurance companies whose pockets are bulging so they are the target, not the individual (in most cases).
    He may have UMI coverage on his own vehicle that can be tapped into.
    I think you can safely relax and not worry about this case. Someone without deep pockets is not a good target for a suit. et's all just hope this injured party mends as quickly as posssible and gets rehabilitated.

Best of luck

Patrick Buchanan
    Attorney at Law