Which lawyer i need to contact if the accident is my fault and exceeds autocoverage limit for other driver injured in accident?

Asked 10 months ago - Nashville, TN

I have involved into accident in rental car and accident was my fault and i had auto coverage for the other driver about 1 million. He is still in the hospital from past 5 weeks.So the rental company is expecting the bill will be more than a million.Does he get covered by both his own auto and medical insurance after it exceeds that million dollars. Do i get sued by him.So what to do in that situation which lawyer(like civil or auto accident lawyers etc..) will be able t to help me in this situation. I am really not sure what his medical are at now current.This accident is happened due to severe weather condition(raining heavily at the time of accident) . so i was really unable to see whose fault was at the time of accident.

I do not have any personal car so i did not had any auto insurance coverage. I had is enterprise Supplemental Liability Coverage about 1 million only during the rental period. So do i need to talk with enterprise now about this issue. Will they provide any legal defense in this scenario. All they were saying is they cover upto 1 million what ever the situation is after they won't care about it and which lawyer i need to contact civil or criminal lawyer and i do not have personal assets to protect.

1. Stephen Alan Sauer

4

Best Answer

Answered . Enterprise's insurance will cover you up to one million. Anything over that is your responsibility since you did not have insurance. Speak to a civil attorney (most attorneys who handle personal injury cases can advise you what to do) about your options. Typically the other driver will often settle for the policy limits of whatever insurance is out there (the one million from Enterprise and perhaps the driver's own insurance policy) and not come after you personally for your assets. This is especially likely if you do not have significant assets. But it would likely be worthwhile to discuss the issue with an attorney.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

5

Answered . Uh oh -- this sounds grave. You need to talk to your carrier about sitting down with one of their house counsel to discuss your rights and needs.

3. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

5

Answered . Contact your insurance company and let them assign a lawyer to defend you. Best of luck.

4. Andrew Daniel Myers

5

Answered . Your own insurance company needs notice right away. Their duty includes handling any claim and providing a legal defense to you if it comes to a lawsuit. Get all of the claim information from your insurance company. Find out now if there is any potential for a verdict above your coverage, and if so take all the information to an attorney of your own. Read the section titled 'Legal Defense' in this article: BLUE LINK BELOW

Pro

4

Answered . Best bet is to retain local independent counsel to get proper representation to protect your interests and assets

6. Patrick Martin Buchanan

3

1

Answered . Here's a little secret--lawyers typically do not go after individuals. You mention that you have very little. So getting a judgment against you would be largely a waste of time. It's the insurance companies whose pockets are bulging so they are the target, not the individual (in most cases).
    He may have UMI coverage on his own vehicle that can be tapped into.
    I think you can safely relax and not worry about this case. Someone without deep pockets is not a good target for a suit. et's all just hope this injured party mends as quickly as posssible and gets rehabilitated.

Best of luck

Patrick Buchanan
    Attorney at Law