Skip to main content

Which law can I get jurisdiction changed to Virginia for support and custody for prejudice and false statements?

Fairfax, VA |

I've filled a change of venue when I should have filled a change of jurisdiction since all the prior preceedings were in Syracuse, New York, and I want to move custody and support from Syracuse, NY to Fairfax, VA. Syracuse, NY is prejustice due to the fact my ex-husband's wife is the assistant to a Judge in the same court house, and they hide money in the support hearings-I have paperwork supporting it. I've been advice that I can bring it into another court house in New York but I've lived in Fairfax county for almost 5 years, and I've written to the higher courts, and know I won't get a fair hearing. I was advised that I can get the support hearing in Fairfax (Virginia) but I can't find the law.

Attorney Answers 1


Jurisdiction of support is governed by the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), which is incorporated by most states, including Virginia. The jurisdiction where support will be heard is determined by where the parties and the minor child live.

Jurisdiction over custody matters is governed by the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, which is also incorporated in Virginia and relies on the residence of the parents and the minor child to detemine which state has juridiction.

If you have a question as to whether New York still has jurisdiction, you should consult with an attorney.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics