Which kind of ("working") visa I am eligible for?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I am from Slovakia, I am 25 years old. I finished my studies with Master Degree in Tourism Management (Hospitality) in May 2011. From May 2012 until February 2013 I participated on Internship in country club in Illinois. Now I am back in my country. I would like to know if I have some chance to get some kind of "working" visa, like H1 B or something else. I know that my employer in country club would like to help me, but I would like to know if I have a chance to get this visa even with small private company. Please advise what to do, if I would like to come back (for 2-3 years). My boyfriend should get a green card soon, but I do not think, that he could help me, correct? Thank you for your advice!

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . To assess your chances one needs to be from the hospitality industry, reviewing your education, academic performance and linguistic abilities. This is a blog where lawyers provide information to the public. Hence, you started from the wrong end You need to find an employer

2. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague.
    There are employment visas other then an H however it is to complicted to explain them at this site. You can do the research yourself - on the internet - or consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

3. Olesia Gorinshteyn

1

1

Answered . Even a small private company can sponsor a non-immigrant worker if it meets statutory requirements. It is highly advisable to retain an immigration attorney to assist you with H-1B process. Please remember that the earliest time you can apply is April 1, 2014. It is unclear from the facts you provided whether you can benefit from your boyfriend becoming a permanent resident. In certain situations if you marry your boyfriend you may become a derivative and obtain residency with him. Otherwise, if you enter the U.S. as a non-immigrant worker and marry your boyfriend, he can petition for you. You will have to wait for your priority date to become current and maintain legal status in the U.S. in order to obtain permanent residency.

4. Nina Tamar Marano

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. It is important to locate an employer first; however, if your current employer is considering sponsoring your for a visa, it is important for you to consult with an immigration attorney who can look at your specific circumstances, education level, ... to help you determine what your best course of action would be. There are often different ways of approaching this issue depending on the particular facts of each case.

Nina T. Marano, Esq.
    Licensed in NY & FL
    Bogin, Munns & Munns, P.A.
    (407) 578-1334
    nmarano@boginmunns.com
    www.boginmunns.com