Which is available to same sex couples in hillsborough county:civil union,domestic partnership,marriage

Tampa, FL |

what is available for same sex couples whom wish to unite as one?

Though Florida is a leading state in preventing discrimination against same sex couples, Florida law forbids civil unions and same sex marriages. Though other counties and cities in the state of Florida have taken action to establish domestic partnerships, and though the city of Tampa has acted favorably toward the idea, neither Hillsborough County nor the city of Tampa have established a law allowing for domestic partnerships for same sex couples. The answer to your question is none of the above.

I'm not certain that I agree that Florida is on the forefront of protecting the rights of lesbians, gay men and transgendered individuals, however, you can enter into a cohabitation agreement with your significant other so that in the event of a breakup of your relationship your rights are set forth in an Agreement that can then be enforced in court. You should also consider a Will, Living Will, Medical Surrogacy and Durable Power of Attorney.

For a free great LGBT Handbook on same sex legal issues in Florida, which may answer many of your questions, please see:

The first edition of "A Legal Handbook for LGBT Floridians and Their Families" (2010).

The Handbook is available through the web sites for Equality Florida Institute and Carlton Fields.

You may download a pdf copy of the Handbook at http://www.carltonfields.com/glen/

Recommended articles about Family law