Which family state law applies to my marriage if we live in different states?

Albany, GA |
Filed under: Family law

I live in California but my wife is living in texas. We met through a convention back 2 years ago. And after few courtships we got married in Las Vegas. But we still live apart. Which family law applies to our marriage?

I am not sure why you posted that you live in California, and claim also to live in Georgia. But unless you are seeking a divorce, there is no "law" to apply. Try reposting your question and tell us what you are trying to find out. Be sure to post in the correct state. Your question as posted does not make sense.

- Glen Ashman - - .................. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in this email is tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein.

There aren't "marriage" laws. The state for a divorce (if that is what you meant to ask about) will depend on additional information. Either way, it doesn't appear that Georgia has ANYTHING to do with your marriage.

Consider re-posting your question with more information (such as what time of "law" you're considered about). Post it once in California and again in Texas.

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.

The state law that will govern your marriage depends on where each person lives, how long he or she has lived there and what type of relief you are seeking. If you are interested in a divorce, it is very likely you would need to sue her in the county of her residence. If you two were to reside together in one state and she were to relocate within 6 months of the filing of any action for divorce or legal separation, the state of your marital residence would maintain jurisdiction of the case. However, since you have not lived together, there is nothing tying her to your home state which means she would have the right to be sued in her state and county of residence. Nevada law would have no impact on your relationship, unless one of you lived there.

Recommended articles about Family law