Which country law (or DMCA) applies for a website hosted in US but owned by a non-US person and operated outside of US?

Asked over 1 year ago - Marina, CA

I host my website in US. However, I am from a country outside US & running the website outside US. My site allows users to post content. So I know Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) safe harbor can protect me from being liable to the user posted content. However, I am not a US resident nor US company and cannot register a DMCA agent. By setting the choice of law to my country law in my site's Terms of Use, will I be still liable to the user posted content under US law? Or my country law will apply instead? If US law applies, how can I protect myself? Should I ship my site to a server resides in my country? How about .com domains & hosting providers? Should I change to another provider who is registered in my country?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Daniel Nathan Ballard

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your premise is wrong. You note that "I am not a US resident nor US company and cannot register a DMCA agent." Yes, you can. You and your own U.S.-licensed copyright attorney should follow the directions provided by the links below. Good luck.

    The above is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and... more
  2. Maurice N Ross


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you think I am going to advise you as to how you can evade US law for a web-site that posts content that reaches US citizens and may engage in civil and criminal violations of US copyright law or trademark law, you are delusional. If your web-site reaches people in the U.S., U.S. law will apply in the event your web-site violates law. This is true regardless of where the servers that host your web-site are located. U.S. courts will find that there is personal jurisdiction in a U.S. court for someone who operates a web-site outside of the United States that reaches U.S. residents and violates U.S. law. There is no reason why a website that operates outside of the United States cannot register a U.S. based DMCA agent (such as a law firm), and no reason otherwise that the web-site cannot comply with the DMCA and take advantage of its safe harbor provisions. You cannot unilaterally write a choice of law clause in your terms of use that will successfully evades US legal requirements. You protect yourself by complying with U.S. law, or else you run the risk that you will be successfully sued in a U.S court, or arrested and prosecuted in a U.S. criminal proceeding, for violation of U.S. law. Of course, there may be ways to shield you from the reach of U.S. courts by operating in countries that do not give full faith and credit to U.S. court judgments---but you would operate in once of these "safe havens" at great peril, because at any moment the government of the "safe haven" may decide to stop providing immunity. Further, if you operate in a "safe haven", you may never be able to safely travel to the U.S. or Europe without running the risk of being served with legal process and/or arrested for criminal law violations. You need to retain legal counsel in the United States to advise you about how to legally operate your web-site, comply with US law, and at the same time reduce your risk of personal liability.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,335 answers this week

2,904 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,335 answers this week

2,904 attorneys answering