Which bank should I be speaking to about a short sale or deed in lieu if my mortgage was assigned 2 weeks ago?

Asked over 2 years ago - Winchester, MA

My home is in foreclosure. The mortgage was originally with Chase until it was assigned 2 weeks ago to Wells Fargo, as Trustee.for Wamu Mortgage Pass-Through Certificates """". Should I be speaking to Chase or Wells Fargo?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Herbert Weinberg


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Talk to the new bank. The old bank is out.

    Banks are swamped. The loan may not be assigned to anyone so you may need to ask for a manager to find the loan and assign to someone.

    Good luck.

  2. Erik Hammarlund

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . If the mortgage has been assigned to Wells Fargo, you will need to talk to them.

    However, you should strongly consider hiring an attorney. I will also warn you that merely "talking to" a bank--by which most folks mean "make undocumented telephone calls to a bank--is unlikely to be sufficient to get you a modification.

    Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask... more
  3. Kati M. Amarantes

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You may also want to see who is servicing the loan. While Wells Fargo may be the holder, the loan may be serviced by a third party (i.e. Ocwen, American Home Mortgage Servicing etc) You should have received a 150 demand letter which states who the current hold of the mortgage is and a number to contact them. You should contact them as soon as possible. You should also contact an attorney to guide you through your options.


  4. Glenn F Russell JR

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . There is no "bank" that owns your loan, as it has been "securitized".

    In your case the "bank" is merely a debt collector (mortgage servicer) who has been given complete autonomy to conduct the foreclosure process for either a disclosed or undisclosed business securitized trust in which the rights to receive your mo thy mortgage payment were sold in the form if bonds to large institutional investors.

    So you would need to contact the latest cockroach debt collector mortgage servicer, but beware the servicer gets paid if the house forecloses so don't expect any help from these people. This is the reason why you read so many stories about the run around people get when trying to modify their loan. The "bank" does not own your loan so they could care less if it forecloses, worse yet the servicer has an incentive to liquidate your home

    Just an FYI

    Glenn F.Russell, Jr., Esq licensed in MA and CT

Related Topics

Real estate finances

Your finances play a big part in real estate transactions, affecting things like how large of a down payment you can afford and your mortgage interest rate.

Ray Garcia

Florida Short Sales and 1099′s

If a Lender writes off debt in a short sale, its a taxable event, and the lender tells the IRS about the transaction by submitting a Form 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt at the end of the year.... more

Property foreclosure

If you miss too many mortgage payments, your lender can start foreclosure proceedings to take ownership of the property, but it has to follow your state's laws.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,715 answers this week

2,945 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,715 answers this week

2,945 attorneys answering