Which amount is used in lawsuit? The doctor's "billed amount" or the "contracted amount" (the amount paid by insurance)?

Asked about 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

In an injury lawsuit, when comtemplating the dollar value of a lawsuit, which amount do you use: the doctor's straight charge (e.g., 10,000 for surgery) or the doctor/insurance contracted amount (e.g., 5000)?

1. Richard S. Johnson

Pro

9

1

Best Answer

Answered . It depends. Assuming it is NOT a medical practice case, the full amount of the bill is admissible at trial. Evidence of insurance payments or contracted rates are not allowed. However, there is a push by the insurance companies to only allow the amount actually paid to come in at trial.

If you would like a free consultation, call me at 702-823-3333. www.naimidilbeck.com
  2. Jonathan Craig Reed

Pro

3

Answered . Richard Johnson has said it all.

3. Stacy E Pepper

Pro

3

Answered . Generally the total amount, but in some type of cases there are excetions. As to any subrgation liens, usually the amount paid is what they want back, and sometimes will reduce the amount of their lien when you have an experienced personal injury attorney.

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . Great question -- in Colorado, it's the billed charge that comes into evidence. Check with a Nevada personal injury attorney.

Pro

2

Answered . For what kind of case?