Whether inherited IRA's are exempt in Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Brooklyn, NY |

I have IRA's of my son that I'm a beneficiary of. Unfortunately, my son passed away and I was advised by financial adviser to transfer these IRA to my IRA account that's already in existence. Unfortunately, I may be forced to file Chapter 7 in a near future. Will I be able to exempt these inherited IRAs in addition to my IRA account? Thank you

1. Although I have never had this specific issue, it is my understanding that all types of IRAs are exempt (protected) from creditors both inside and outside of bankruptcy. Consult with a local BK attorney.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

2. This issue should definitely be discussed with a bankruptcy attorney in your area as the answer may depend on your jurisdiction. Generally, your IRA accounts are fully exempt. However, inherited IRAs are a different story depending on the jurisdiction. Recently, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals held that these IRAs are exempt under the Federal Exemptions. However, other states that require debtors to use state exemptions may not allow for an exemption of this type. New York is not in the 5th Circuit but I believe it does allow for use of the Federal Exemptions so you may be in the clear. Again, you should contact a local bankruptcy attorney who knows how a New York bankruptcy court will treat this asset.

Any information submitted by this attorney on Avvo.com is not intended to be communicated as legal advice. All information provided is general and intended for information purposes only. For detailed legal advice regarding your loan modification, foreclosure, and/or bankruptcy needs, please schedule an appointment with the attorney.

3. I agree with the other attorneys, this depends on the law in your jurisdiction. Inherited IRAs may very well be exempt but you should speak with a bankruptcy attorney in your area to be sure.

There is never a proper substitute for consultation with an attorney licensed in your area, when you are facing a legal problem. Please understand my answer to your question may be influenced by the laws of my state-which could differ from the laws of your state. No attorney-client relationship has been formed by my answering your question on Avvo.