Whether illegal stay began after grace period or when SEVIS got terminated or when immigration rejected change of status

Buffalo, NY |

On Nov, suspended from school and was granted 60 days grace period. Dated May 29th immigration sent letter denying application on grounds of abandonment. School terminated SEVIS on May 9th. on June arrested by ICE under section 237[A][1][C][I]

1. It depends on if you filed a timely application for change of status.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

2. Your facts are confusing.

1. Who gave you a 60 day grace period? This is normally not given when a student is suspended from school

2. What application was denied because you abandoned it?

3. How did ICE come to find you?

4. When do you think would be a good time to hire a lawyer? .... my answer is: NOW

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

3. your violation of status started when you fell out of status, and your notice to appear indicated your unlawful stay start date, which is when you were suspended.