Where to go from here?

Fulton, IL |
Filed under: Family law

Our lawyer dropped out of our case due to conflict of interest. We presented him with substantial evidence against my ex and one of her family members that could possibly cause both a lot of jail time. Unfortunately not knowing our lawyer had and was still representing that said relative in another matter. So when our lawyer asked him the relative openly admitted to what he had done in our case so therefor caused a conflict of interest so our lawyer had to drop us both as clients.

you go hire another lawyer, that is where you go from here.

We are looking I to another lawyer we have a meeting scheduled for next week unfortunately the soonest we can get in will be after our court date. The problem is the evidence contains aggravated sexual abuse to a child under the age of 13 to another child. Its hard to explain and go into great detail but I do not want my children in that situation so what would my options be to protect my children until then. Because they are in their mothers care.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

i cannot give you any answer based on what you posted and you should not post more detail. go tell the judge you need a new lawyer and ask that the case be continued.

You should hire a new lawyer ASAP. Best wishes to you.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.

Find a new attorney using Avvo.com or going to the Illinois State Bar Association website. Good luck.

Depending on the situation, that lawyer may have had a duty to disclose that conflict to you quite some time ago. You should absolutely mention that to your next lawyer, as there may be a case for legal malpractice against your old attorney.