Where to find an attorney for a car accident?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Poughkeepsie, NY

I need to hire an attorney regarding a car accident I was in, where my car was totalled and the police deemed the other driver 100% at fault. The other drivers insurance company says that she is disputing who drove my vehicle, that it was my unlicensed passenger, and might not pay out if there is no way to prove it was me driving. My car was worth about $10,000, I owe about $2000 for towing and storage so far, and I keep having to miss work when I don't have a ride. I don't have any money for a lawyer, so their fee would have to come from the other driver as well. If I can't get this sorted out, I will be completely ruined financially because someone else was careless. Any advice or referrals would be greatly appreciated. My insurance does not cover collisions.

1. Anthony A. Ferrante

Pro

7

Answered . You can find a qualified personal injury lawyer right here on Avvo. Use the Find A Lawyer tool on the site and search for personal injury of car accident lawyers in your area.

If you have not sustained any injuries and you only seek to get your car repaired it may be difficult to find someone willing to take on the case. Also be careful with the storage bill because many times an insurance carrier will only pay for storage up to a certain date.

2. Craig A. Post

5

Answered . As Mr. Ferrante points out, there are qualified attorneys through this site. Also, any qualified personal injury attorney in your area should be able to help. It sounds like the other driver's carrier is looking for a reason not to pay on the claim although I'm not sure what the question of who was driving your vehicle would have to do with their liability for the property damage. You should consult with and engage an attorney if the carrier does deny the claim. This may simply be the case of an insurance company trying to take advantage of you.

3. David B Pittman

Pro

4

Answered . The best way to find a good lawyer is to get a referral from a trusted source, use the find a lawyer tab here on AVVO, or call the state bar for a recommendation. Good luck!

4. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

1

Answered . I do not see, based on the information you have provided, how a dispute about who was driving your vehicle bears on the negligence of the insured adverse driver. Licensure has nothing to do with liability issues either.

I suggest that you contact your State insurance commissioners office and file a complaint against the adverse carrier and request the assistance of the commissioner's office in obtaining repair of your vehicle paid for by the adverse driver's carrier.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3

Answered . You can use Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool then.

6. Matthew C Simon

Pro

1

Answered . Use the Avvo "Find a Lawyer" tool Speak with several attorneys and see who you feel most comfortable with. Many attorneys will lay out the costs and take 33% of the recovery, plus reimbursment of costs. Many also offer free 30 minute consultations. Good luck.

7. Christopher Steven Hoffmann

1

Answered . Most states have a Improper Claims Practices Act requiring insurance adjuster to respond to demands and give the factual basis for denials. Make a written demand to the insurance company for the property damage, include the Kelly Blue Book printout, other costs, and a time limit (30 days). Request their factual basis in the event of a denial or failure to pay the full value. Keep a copy. If the adjuster fails to respond or pay the total car damages requested, turn the adjuster into the Department of Insurance. Then...call a lawyer.