Skip to main content

Where should I mail the SSA-561-U2, Request for Reconsideration form? This is for Social Security SSI reconsideration appeals

Hackensack, NJ |

Where should I mail the SSA-561-U2, Request for Reconsideration form? This is for Social Security SSI reconsideration appeals purpose.

Attorney Answers 5


Same Office where you filed original application

The content of the this submission is intended to provide general information on the topic presented, and is offered with the understanding that the author is not rendering any legal or professional services or advice. This submission is not a substitute for legal advice. Should you require such services, retain competent legal counsel.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


According to the website where the SSA provides the form

You return it to "your local social security office".

This should not be considered legal advice and is intended for educational purposes only. It does not constitute a contract for legal services between any parties. Answers are given to questions for which there may be additional facts not mentioned which might change the legal issues or consequences.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Within 60 days of the date of your denial, send the 561 to your local social security office. The address should be on the notice you received. Send it certified mail return receipt to ensure proof of filing.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


If mailing it, please be sure to mail it certified return receipt requested. You will want PROOF that you sent them the appeal papers. You can also do it online at (click "benefits", "appeal...").

I also suggest you use an attorney, since handling it yourself doesn't seem to be working. Many of us handle Hackensack cases, so just pick up the phone.

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq., of JoyDisability, is an attorney licensed in New Jersey, but currently practicing federal Social Security Disability law in all 50 states from her PA office. Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, nor do they constitute legal advice. Rather, if you need representation or legal advise, you need to make direct contact yourself, and inquire. We welcome and respond to all phone calls and emails.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


As the other attorneys have advised, you should return the form to your local social security office. If you do not know where the office is located, I suggest you look it up on the government's website: You can also call the toll free number (1-800-772-1213) and speak with a representative. Given the wait time for most phone calls, however, you are better off finding the information online.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Administrative law topics

Recommended articles about Administrative law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics