Where is the proper jurisdiction of this case? Niecepicked up personal property in Florida and was supposed to deliver it to

Asked 9 months ago - New York, NY

me in NY. At the time of taking the personal property in Florida , she resided in Brooklyn , NY.
She now resides in NJ. As Florida has already said the jurisdiction is not in Florida , that leaves NY or NJ. Is NY or NJ the proper jurisdiction? Or, does an attorney sue in both NY and NJ?

1. Glenn Johnston

1

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. If she is LIVING in New Jersey, then it will be easier for the Courts to enforce a judgment against her there. If you're really concerned, hire an attorney with licenses in both states, or at least consult with one with both. That is pretty common.

This does not constitute legal advice or the engagement of my services as an attorney.
  2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . More facts are needed but the safer choice is New Jersey.

3. Darren Harrel Fairlie

2

Answered . Yes, more facts are needed, but assuming that her stay in NJ is not temporary and she no longer has an actual dwelling in NY that she returns to, then New Jersey is the safer bet.