Where in WI, can I find an attorney who has EXPERTISE in O&G leases? Need help quickly.

Asked over 1 year ago - Racine, WI

I have been unable to locate any attorneys in this area who have expertise in Oil & Gas leases and rightly so given the state and WI not being associated with having oil . An Alabama landsman has provided me with a lease from my father's inherited property . I may be one of the only people who has not returned their lease and it is because I will not do so without legal counsel . If you can point me to someone in WI , or IL who can help , that would be appreciated .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Maxwell Charles Livingston


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The key to Oil and Gas leases is knowing whether it is "free and clear". If it is, the next item to know is how the sharing is to be accomplished if it is shared with others.

    If you would like to discuss and review this matter further, I welcome you to setup a time to come in to my office and meet at my office (200 S. Executive Dr., Ste. 101, Brookfield, WI 53005). You can reach me by phone at 262-789-2741 in order to setup the meeting.

  2. John R. Bonica


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You are absolutely correct in refusing to sign an oil and gas lease without the assistance of counsel. I did a quick search on Westlaw for cases on oil and gas leases. I found remarkably few. The most recent published case I found was in 2002. The attorneys who argued that case were identified in the published opinion as follows: On behalf of the plaintiffs-appellants, the cause was submitted on the briefs of Francis R. Croak, Michael J. Lund and Steven L. Nelson of Cooke & Franke S.C., Milwaukee. On behalf of the defendants-respondents, the cause was submitted on the brief of William Schroeder of Sommer, Olk, Schroeder & Payant, Rhinelander and James L. Huston and Kelli Taffora of Foley & Lardner, Milwaukee. Goldstein v. Lindner, 2002 WI App 122, 254 Wis. 2d 673, 677, 648 N.W.2d 892, 894. I do not know any of these attorneys; therefore, I can't recommend any of them. Nevertheless, you might start your search by contacting these attorneys to see if one of them or someone in their law firms would be willing to review the lease. In states like Texas where there is a large body of oil and gas case law and where there are many oil and gas practitioners, the attorneys who draft and review oil and gas leases often do not get involved in litigation over oil and gas leases. The skill sets of transactional lawyers and litigation lawyers do not completely overlap. However, the lawyers involved in the above mentioned case have some familiarity with oil and gas and I think they might be a good place to start your search.

    Legal disclaimer: John Bonica is licensed to practice law only in Texas. His response is not legal advice and... more
  3. Justin Edward Downum

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Is the mineral interest in Wisconsin or in Alabama? If it is local, then you could ask some of the neighboring mineral owners if they used an attorney. You could also research land records on your own time to find a few lawyers who may be involved in the industry.

    If the interest is in Alabama, then you could use an attorney already familiar with the typical practices of the specific area. If it is a hot play, then the local county clerk could point you toward an experienced attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,922 answers this week

2,967 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,922 answers this week

2,967 attorneys answering