Where in the law N.J.S.A. 56:8-1 et seq., does it spell out the penalty for those who commit a consumer fraud? (treble & legal)

Westwood, NJ |

Writing a legal brief and want to include the penalty. I see it everywhere: mandatory treble damages and mandatory attorney fees, but I do not see that in the law. Where/when was this hefty penalty established?

"Threefold damages" is not "hefty." Consumer fraud should result in tenfold damages. If that were the case, consumer fraud would end over night. (And, if it didn't.... well, pay the penalty.)

N.J.S.A. 56:8-19: In any action under this section the court shall, in addition to any other appropriate legal or equitable relief, award threefold the damages sustained by any person in
interest. In all actions under this section the court shall also award reasonable attorneys’ fees, filing fees and reasonable costs of suit.

Disclaimer: Nothing stated herein is legal advice. For legal advice, consult an attorney; I am not your attorney at this time. This response may constitute ATTORNEY ADVERTISING which has not been approved by the Supreme Courts of New Jersey or Pennsylvania or the Court of Appeals of Maryland. I am a federally-designated “debt relief agency” that provides, where appropriate, relief under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

Thanks a million! I'm just disappointed I couldn't find it myself. But thanks for being there!!

I agree with my colleague.

Previous counsel cited the applicable section of the statute. You should also make sure to look to the administrative code a it implements the CFA. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: Please be advised that this post is not intended to constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This posting in no way creates an attorney client relationship. You should contact an attorney to protect your interests.