Where I can find the "points & authorities" that support my request for 12mos back & current child support?

Asked 8 months ago - San Diego, CA

We live in California and I have primary custody of my brother's 4 children (plus 2 of my own). Unfortunately after 12mos the support order hasn't been modified yet. By law he still has to send support to the children's mom & she refuses to help me with the kids' needs (I was laid off 15mos ago). At our last hearing the judge said she read my request & understands where I'm coming from. I don't understand why she didn't already modify the support order when she's the same judge who gave me primary custody. Anyway she asked for "points & authorities" to grant my request. Please help me find these or direct me to where I can find them. I can't give up on the kids because CPS was involved removing them from the mom's care. But I'm drowning in debt & need this issue resolved soon. Thank you!

1. Antoinette Cara Liewen

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Unfortunately, there is no website or resource for "canned" points and authorities. A Memorandum of Points and Authorities is based on the unique facts of the case before the court. The points are your arguments and the authorities are the cases or codes that support your position. Preparation involves legal research. This type of document s best prepared by an attorney.

2. David Lee Lewis

2

1

Answered . The previous poster is correct; this type of matter is best handled by an attorney. However, there are resources at your nearest law library that will contain at least very basic points and authorities that you can use as a starting point, if you're set on doing it yourself. Ask the librarian for help finding the guides.

3. Iman Ghasri

1

1

Answered . You need to hire an attorney.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now