Skip to main content

Where/how do you file a response to contempt of court in P.G. County?

Glen Burnie, MD |

I received a contempt of court letter and need to file a response to it. I am working on writing it myself, but not sure how to file it in the PG County court? I do not have sufficient funds to hire an attorney and I was told by the court that a public defender is only provided in criminal cases and not in civil cases. This is a divorce case and we couldn't agree on the location and supervision for the exchange to take place and my ex filed a contempt of court.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Strongly recommend you hire an attorney--by whatever legal means you can to acquire money to do so--borrow from friends, are potentially facing imprisonment (if spousal or child support is involved) and your post indicates sufficient lack of familiarity with legal processes to observe that you are not well-positioned to defend yourself.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.



Unfortunately, I have already been burned by an attorney who I had hired for my divorce case. I not only had to worry about my divorce case, but also had to worry about how to handle my attorneys. I just do not have the strength to get stuck with another unethical attorney. I am already under debt of others because of my last attorney.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III


If you had one bad doctor would you swear off doctors ever after? Same for legal matters.


The Bar Associations, including Prince George's County, operate a Lawyer Referral Service. They can put you in touch with a lawyer in your area who may accept reduced fees. Further, they would have contact information for pro bono legal service agencies in your area who may be able to help you free of charge.
See the link below for a listing of all the Lawyer Referral Service phone numbers in Maryland.

This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. My answer is based only on the facts provided and any new facts may change my answer. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland. Office: (410) 828-8512.



Thank you for the link. I will try to reach out to the people and see if anyone can just assist with filing of the response I have prepared.


Some clients who have no money hire an attorney anyway because they know they cannot afford to go to court and get clobbered because they made critical mistakes which an attorney could help them avoid.

Office: (410) 381-1656. This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer