Where does one go to run a chain of title for a property in Cobb County Georgia, a parcel of land and house on it?

Marietta, GA |

How much is the average costs? What should I know?

Call a real estate lawyer in the county.

I'll call one or two but I can't afford to hire an attorney. Neither can my friend, who has the problem. I'm helping her by doing research along with her. She's got to speak with attorney's yes but we are both educating ourselves further first. She/we need free advice on how and what to do, then she's going to have to do it herself. Unless she finds a pro bono council or fiduciary. Thanks for your answer Scott.

Scott Benjamin Riddle

Scott Benjamin Riddle

The only other realistic option is to get a title report from a title company. If you are really asking whether someone can somehow learn from scratch and do a meaningful title search, and actually know what it means, the chances of that are remote, at best. Nearly impossible is more like it. The great majority of lawyers can't perform an accurate title search and interpret it.

It's not exactly from scratch. I've been studying for two years and she for four months. Thanks for your answer.

Generally it would be the county recorder of deeds. However, if you are not familiar with the process, you would be better off hiring a real estate attorney.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

I'll call one or two but I can't afford to hire an attorney. Neither can my friend, who has the problem. I'm helping her by doing research along with her. She's got to speak with attorney's yes but we are both educating ourselves further first. She/we need free advice on how and what to do, then she's going to have to do it herself. Unless she finds a pro bono council or fiduciary. Thanks for your answer.

If you have never run a chain of title before, it is not something you want to try on your own without someone training you. The consequences of a failure could be very high and your "savings" an illusion. Title insurance (which includes running title) is very inexpensive. I would not recommend that you try this on your own based on information you get off the internet.

Disclosure: This answer and any information contained in this answer is not intended to be treated as legal advice. It is for informational purposes to educate about legal issues. You should contact an attorney for specific legal advice for your situation. Specific legal advice based on full knowledge of your specific situation and all facts may differ from general information. This posting does not create an attorney-client relationship or privilege of any kind. This attorney actively licensed only in the State of Georgia. If this is a Georgia matter, you may of course contact me to discuss possible representation. FEEDBACK: Both AVVO and other readers are interested in your feedback on the quality of the answers. Please check the “thumbs up” symbol if you find an answer helpful.