Skip to main content

Where do you report exploitation and embezzlement of the elderly besides the Adult Protective Services?

San Antonio, TX |

My mother who lives in another city in Texas is being exploited and embezzled from. She has a lot of money and it is disappearing quickly from her estate. Obvious actions happening, who do I report something I know is happening? I would like to take this straight to the top, FBI or Texas Attorney General. Is this an option?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Adult Protective Services is who you report it to. In some of our larger counties, specific attorneys in the district attorney's office are assigned to crimes against the elderly, but even they work very closely with APS and get the agency involved as soon as is practical.

But I have to agree with Mr. Fromm. Why be content to sit back and blow the whistle? If you make a report, APS will investigate it, but you may not be happy with the conclusion. If you report the incidents to law enforcement, you may not be happy with the attention devoted to your mother's well-being.

If this is at all important to you, take some charge of the situation. Find an attorney near your mother with experience in guardianship and guardianship litigation. You have the opportunity to halt wrongdoing just as much as APS or anyone else.

This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of Texas only, and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to Texas. This answer is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation, and is for promotional purposes only. You should never rely on this answer alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney-client relationship.



I appreciate your advice. I have seen signs since 2 weeks after my fathers passing, and no cooperation on anyone's behalf. I am an only child. Do you have a reccommendation for an attorney in Abilene, Texas? Please!

James Brian Thomas

James Brian Thomas


Unfortunately, nobody comes to mind that practices exclusively in the Abilene area. My own practice generally extends to the counties that neighbor Dallas and Fort Worth, but Abilene is not so far away that I wouldn't consider it. You at lease deserve to know a bit more about the processes involved and what sort of a fight you might be in for, and I'd be happy to discuss the situation with you to determine if I might be of any help to you. A little time on the phone might get you moving in the right direction on what sounds to be a set of circumstances that has you rightfully concerned. Feel free to contact me either through the link provided in my original answer or through my profile on this site.


Why not get control of the situation. You should meet with an estates litigation or elder law attorney to bring a petition before the court to get named as her conservator/guardian. This way you can stop the losses. You should also discuss with this attorney how you may recover the losses to date. The other methods you mention may result in criminal charges but may not get you as much money or control of this problem.

If 5 years have passed, you really have not responded timely to this problem. At this point, there is no other recourse but for you to retain an estates attorney to try to salvage this situation. You have not heeded some of the warning signs of trouble and possibly fraud and theft here, so you need to know that you must act now. Retain an estate litigation immediately. Do this NOW!

Hope this helps. Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is . For further tax advice visit his website at . and blog at >

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is <> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.



I have reported this to the Adult Protective Services and they did NOTHING FOR ME! The is how the governmental entities work for you, that was 2 years ago. I am disgusted with people who do not think I have paid attention to the signs. I saw signs 2 weeks after my fathers passing and no one would listen to me. Now what do I do. This man has brain washed my mother how do I undo that???? Becca in San Antonio, TX

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer