Where do I sue this person?

Asked about 3 years ago - Pocatello, ID

I have been damaged by two people who filed a lis pendens that prevented me from obtaining financing for my business. This happened in Idaho. They are from two other States. Can I file a damage suit against them in Idaho or do I have to go to their resident state.

1. Tyler Stanton Rounds

Pro

1

Answered . Based on the limited amount of information that you provided, it isn't clear what court would have jurisdiction. Is the real property located in Idaho? I would strongly advise that you speak with an experienced attorney who deals specifically in this area of law to get specific advice.

Tyler S. Rounds
    Attorney
    Lovan Roker & Rounds, P.C.
    717 S. Kimball, Suite 200
    Caldwell ID 83605
    www.lovanroker.com
    208-459-6795 (Office)
    208-459-6908 (Fax)
    trounds@lovanroker.com

2. Pamela Koslyn

1

Answered . To sue for a wrongful lis pendens, you'd sue where the property is, but there's undoubtedly more to this story, including the presence of whatever other litigation is pending, as well as other contracts between you (or your business) and these 2 people, so you'd really need to have all your documents reviewed by a lawyer before the proper court (and other issues) could be identified.

Disclaimer: I'm only licensed in CA. Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.