Where do I start to find a deceased person's will? Do I need an attorney person's residing state? If will/assets were stolen?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Topeka, KS

A family has passed near one month ago. I reside in a different state. The passed family member did have a will or multiple wills along with multiple properties/bank accounts/ cars/ property. The will has been stolen from her estate. Where do I look to find the will? Do I need an attorney in their residing state? What is to happen to the person who took the will and is distributing property against the deceased person's wishes? I have been granted inheritance from life insurance, but property that was discussed is being taken by other family members.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 7

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues. I would start by calling your loved one's attorney - many attorneys keep originals or copies of the will. If you don't know who your loved one's attorney is, you could call estate planning attorneys in your area, or ask your loved one's friends (if that is possible) if they know who her attorney is.

    If the will was truly stolen, you find the new one and you can prove what happened, you should be able to get the property transfers undone, assuming that that property has not disappeared. The person who did it could possibly face civil and/or criminal penalties. If I were you, I would consult a probate attorney in your family member's area as soon as possible before anything else happens. Good luck!

  2. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am sorry for your loss. Attorney White is correct. Many times, the attorney who prepares a will keeps the original in his or her law firm's fire-proof vault. Accordingly, although a copy may be destroyed, the original may still be in existence. If the search seems overwhelming, your best bet is to retain an attorney in your loved one's jurisdiction to provide assistance. Good luck to you.

    This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor... more
  3. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the other attorneys. You will also want to do everything possible to find the original will; ie the copy that the family member actually signed. This will be the only version that can be submitted to probate absent court approval - and even then, only if there are no objections from other family members.

    Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale... more
  4. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. I would simply add that, in response to your comment that "property that was discussed is being taken by other family members," I assume you are talking about personal items and household effects. Titled assets would not be accessible to anyone other than the executor or administrator for the estate. It is not clear from your summary whether an estate is open or not. Until an estate is open, you may not be able to prevent this kind of "looting." I would meet with a probate attorney in the estate where decedent resided, in order to determine how best to proceed.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more

Related Topics

Inheritance rights and estate planning

Inheritance rights refers to the rights most states give to a spouse (and in some cases, children or grandchildren) that prevent you from disinheriting them.


A will is a document outlining your final wishes for your estate. In order to ensure your will is valid and your wishes honored, you must follow certain rules.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Will Signing

Will Signing Instructions Power of Attorney, Living Will and Notary duties Rev 12/7/13 INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNING WILLS When you hear the front door open, look in the Calendar... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,242 answers this week

3,796 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,242 answers this week

3,796 attorneys answering