Where do I start? who can I talk to?

Asked 12 months ago - Vancouver, WA

I'm a 22 year old whose life is a complete mess. I was born in Tijuana (march 27, 1991). my mother brought me to the States when I was 2 months old. I grew up in Tacoma Washington. Now I live in Vancouver. I was never registered in Tijuan nor did I obtain a birth certificatea. I can't get a job because of my legal status I don't have a social security number. But I do have my Washington state license. I don't know what to do anymore sometimes I think of suing my mother. she has her green card she has her resident card. I was also in a domestic violence relationship, and I did do the police report, so that's on record but I don't know if I can get help because I don't have my birth certificate... can someone please help me

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Talk to an experienced immigration attorney. It is a good idea in your case.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Stanley P. Walker

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am sorry for the situation in which you find yourself. It is a mess, but I would recommend starting with the Mexican consulate on how to prove your identity and obtain a passport, consular ID and/or matricula. You're going to need that because it sounds like you will probably be DACA eligible. DACA is deferred action for childhood arrivals. How did you obtain your Washington license (what documentation did you have to provide to get it?) You also mentioned that you had been the victim of domestic violence - were you married at the time and was the abuser a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. If not, did anything ever happen with the police report. The reason I ask is that you may have a potential VAWA or U Visa claim as well. Again, however, you're going to need a Mexican birth certificate. I would recommend looking for a qualified immigration lawyer in your area for guidance. You can search for one at www.aila.org. AILA is a group of professional immigration lawyers and you can search by location, speciality and a host of other factors. I would also contact your closest Mexican Consulate. If you have problems or can't find anything, please contact me directly. I serve as a Consultant Attorney to the Mexican Consulate in Orlando, Florida, and I can help get you in touch with the appropriate consulate officials in Washington. Best of luck to you.

  3. Tara Patricia Degn Kalar

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You could benefit from hiring an attorney. Your situation is not hopeless.

    My assessment, based on the facts that your provided, is that you would be a good candidate for Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. You may request consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals if you:

    1.Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
    2.Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
    3.Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
    4.Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
    5.Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or your lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;
    6.Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
    7.Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

    If you file for DACA, you may obtain a work permit.
    You really should have an attorney help you; if done incorrectly there is little opportunity for appeal.


  4. Barbara A Marcouiller


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time over something that was beyond your control. I urge you to work with an attorney. There are options, especially if you still have a relationship with your mother, and she is willing to cooperate. You'll need affidavits from witnesses who know the facts of your birth, you may be able to obtain copies of your mother's file from her obstetrician or from the hospital showing your birth, there may be a hospital birth certificate or baptism certificate, all of which can be used as secondary evidence either to obtain a late-filed Mexican birth certificate or to show USCIS, since you don't have an actual birth certificate. There are at least three options: work with the Mexican consulate (we have a new Mexican Consul General in Seattle), work with a Mexican attorney in Mexico to get a birth certificate, work with the secondary evidence and statement that a Mexican birth certificate doesn't exist (last one is not the best option). In any event, get an attorney here to help you through this. It has to be done; you will need a birth certificate for other reasons as you go through your life, so bite the bullet, and go through it.

    This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,155 answers this week

2,824 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,155 answers this week

2,824 attorneys answering