Where do I go to get an emancipation application? how long does this process normally take? is this a good reasoning?

Asked 10 months ago - Fayetteville, NC

im 17 years old I have a job I make 8.50 an hour and have plenty saved up my parents are always on my case and constantly wanting to argue the don't support my choices they always talk down on me they really aren't doing anything for me but giving me a house to stay n I already have somewhere else to stay I no longer want my parents in my life.

1. Anna Morrison Goodwin

Pro

1

1

Answered . Go talk to a lawyer / but you have to answer a lot of questions for a judge to get emancipated. You say your parents only put a roof over your head, but do you know how much it cost to put a roof over your head? Do you know how much it cost to pay utility bills? In other words, a judge is going to want to know that you actually know how to take care of yourself. That's what it means to be emancipated. Do you pay your insurance? Do you own your own car? Or do your parents own it? Do you plan to work for $8.50 an hour for the rest of your life? I am not questioning your choices for your judgment, I am simply demonstrating what you have to be able to show the judge in order to be emancipated. Good luck.

2. Kenneth Love Jr.

1

Answered . There is no application per se. The petition for emancipation is a document that is drawn up by the minor or their attorney. I strongly recommend you speak to a family law attorney in your area before proceeding.

3. Robert A. Broadie

Pro

Answered . You may go to the clerk to see if there is a do it yourself packet for emancipation. Otherwise, I suggest that you speak with an attorney in your area.