Skip to main content

Where do I go to get accurate info. regarding if a house was sold and how much it was sold for?

Yonkers, NY |
Filed under: Real estate

I don't know how reliable websits such as Trulia, Zillow, property shark are. I don't want to get a real estate agent/agency involved, as I'm just curious. I eventually would like to sell my home on my own, and I'd like to have reliable comps. to guide me as to how much I should ask for it.
thank you

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    If the property is in New York State, you can find out how much comparable houses in your area sold for recently from an official records search of the County Clerk's Office and the County Real Property Tax Services. Sometimes this is on line, depending on the County, sometimes you have to go to the County offices to find that information.

    Get the tax map parcel ID for the comparable property and then locate the deed to the current owner. The deed document will have a "tax stamp" on it with the amount paid for transfer tax, which is generally $4.00 per $1,000 sales price (ask at the Clerk's counter what the rate for that county is). Do the (simple) math. Certain intrafamily transfers might not have a tax, so you may have to go back to a previous arms-length sale deed which might not have a comparable price, depending on how long ago that sale was.

    I've found the online services to be OK in terms of price data, but they seem to be based on assessed valuation for tax purposes which may be "off" because of people protesting assessments, age of assessments, etc. Assessments usually track the most recent sales prices though, so sometimes the online realty services are in the ballpark.

    The trick is choosing the comparables. I'm not recommending realtors necessarily, but they do have insights when making listings as to what the comparables are (bedrooms, baths, square footage, location, amenities, etc.) so you have to be confident in your ability to identify recent sales in your neighborhood which are similar to your house.

    This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

  2. The County Clerk's Office.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. The County Clerk's office has reliable information so long as you know the property address that you are researching. There is a periodical called "Comps" that your public library may have. Some counties like Nassau, have all sales on line. I don't know about Westchester

    If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

  4. Go to your County Clerk's office with either the address or block and lot and they will be able to assist you.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics