Where do I go to get accurate info. regarding if a house was sold and how much it was sold for?

Asked over 1 year ago - Yonkers, NY

I don't know how reliable websits such as Trulia, Zillow, property shark are. I don't want to get a real estate agent/agency involved, as I'm just curious. I eventually would like to sell my home on my own, and I'd like to have reliable comps. to guide me as to how much I should ask for it.
thank you

1. Jack Richard Lebowitz

Pro

7

Best Answer

Answered . If the property is in New York State, you can find out how much comparable houses in your area sold for recently from an official records search of the County Clerk's Office and the County Real Property Tax Services. Sometimes this is on line, depending on the County, sometimes you have to go to the County offices to find that information.

Get the tax map parcel ID for the comparable property and then locate the deed to the current owner. The deed document will have a "tax stamp" on it with the amount paid for transfer tax, which is generally $4.00 per $1,000 sales price (ask at the Clerk's counter what the rate for that county is). Do the (simple) math. Certain intrafamily transfers might not have a tax, so you may have to go back to a previous arms-length sale deed which might not have a comparable price, depending on how long ago that sale was.

I've found the online services to be OK in terms of price data, but they seem to be based on assessed valuation for tax purposes which may be "off" because of people protesting assessments, age of assessments, etc. Assessments usually track the most recent sales prices though, so sometimes the online realty services are in the ballpark.

The trick is choosing the comparables. I'm not recommending realtors necessarily, but they do have insights when making listings as to what the comparables are (bedrooms, baths, square footage, location, amenities, etc.) so you have to be confident in your ability to identify recent sales in your neighborhood which are similar to your house.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

5

1

Answered . The County Clerk's Office.

3. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

4

1

Answered . The County Clerk's office has reliable information so long as you know the property address that you are researching. There is a periodical called "Comps" that your public library may have. Some counties like Nassau, have all sales on line. I don't know about Westchester

4. Angela A. Conti

2

1

Answered . Go to your County Clerk's office with either the address or block and lot and they will be able to assist you.