Skip to main content

Where do i get the form to file a livestock lien and is it the same as a mechanics lien

Woodside, CA |
Filed under: Mechanic's lien Lien

for 2 years i boarded this horse with no payment and no contact with the owner, now she wants to pick it up and the cops said its civil but if i had a court order i could present to the police they can enforce a lien otherwise they cant stop an ownre with papers for a horse in their name, from picking it up

Attorney Answers 1


A livestock lien is different from a mechanic's lien. There is no form that I know of for a livestock lien. The lien against the horse is automatic. The police are correct that the matter is civil. To enforce your lien you will have to file a lawsuit. That can be costly and difficult since there are some difficult technical steps that must be followed.
I don't know if Woodside is close to Redwood City, but there is a law firm there that has good information on livestock liens. Take a look at the link below, and maybe look for an attorney in your area that has experience with these matters.

Mark as helpful

1 comment

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Nicholas Basil Spirtos


You can also contact the Equine Legal Solutions group at for more information and a referral to an attorney in your area.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics