Where do I find info about what is legal when my fiancee and I want to write a pre-nup in Colorado?

Denver, CO |

Is there any good website where I can find out more about the law in Colorado before getting married? I want all earnings separate, all property separate, she should not be able to gain more weight (she already gained too much when we had our first child), I will of course also agree to not gain more weight. I also want to put in there who gets to have the children and when, if we divorce and how much I have to pay child support. How long before the wedding do I have to give her the paper work? It can not be revoked later on, right?
She will get some assets which she will like. How should I list them. Photos?

1. So it sounds like you are wanting a "how to" guide on the drafting of a pre-nuptial agreement. I can't imagine any of us are able to give you enough guidance on this message board to create a stout agreement. There are specific rules, but the two of youi need to sit down with a local family law attorney to understand the ins and outs of such agreements.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

2. As my colleague accurately noted, there is no website that covers the law on Colorado prenuptial agreements. You can Google and find plenty of firms that have brief overviews on the subject.

These agreements require extensive disclosure of assets and other issues. While having each side represented by an attorney is not a requirement, it is generally prudent practice. If one side does not have their own attorney, then there should be many letters to them to remind them to get counsel and the agreement should clearly note that this person was advised to talk to an attorney but they waived their right to do so.

As to anyone just sitting down and doing it themselves and then handing it to their spouse, that is usually the worst idea. What these people will create often will be unenforceable and will create no small measure of problems. Dan is an excellent attorney and you should call him to discuss the matter.

This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

3. In addition to other attorney's good suggestions i can warn you that prenuptial agreement can not effectively govern child support and parenting time issues. The court will be deciding what is in the best interest of the child at the time and under the circumstances as well as statutory guidance. I like the part about weight restriction.