Where do I find a lawyer who specializes in union matters?

Meridian, MS |

I work under a union contract. This contract has been violated by one of our union officials and I am seeking council to handle this matter in court. The situation is very poorly handled by our union and there are strict but very clear guidelines in our contract that have been blatantly broken. I need to know where I can find a lawyer who handles and is familiar with these kind of issues

Check with your State, County, or city bar association. Most associations will have a legal referral service with experienced attorneys along specialty lines. Good luck.

Marty Davidoff, emd@taxattorneycpa.com, 732-274-1600. This answer is provided for general information only. You should seek advice from an attorney or tax professional.

It sounds like you are alleging either that the union breached its duty of fair representation to you, or possibly that both the company and the union breached provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.

In any event, you are looking for a labor lawyer. You can start looking right here on avvo. Click on "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page, then indicate your city and state, and start looking at the qualifications of the lawyers whose names appear.

It is my experience that there are many attorneys who have expertise in these kinds of matters who will not go up against a union because that is their bread and butter. So be sure to inquire about that at the outset.

Good luck to you.

Michael S. Haber is a New York attorney. As such, his responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as rendering legal advice involves the ability of the attorney to ask appropriate questions of the person seeking such advice and to thus gather appropriate information. In addition, an attorney/client relationship is formed only by specific agreement. The purpose of this answer is to provide the questioner with general information, not to outline specific legal rights and remedies.

You need to talk to an employment lawyer in your state to look at your specific situation . A good source to find on one is the National Employment Lawyers Association ( google NELA), they have a feature on their web site to find employment lawyers that represent workers in your state. Good luck

Legal disclaimer: This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. Employment laws may vary by state and you should contact an attorney in your state to see if a state law may be applicable to your situation.