Where do I find a lawyer who specializes in union matters?

Asked over 2 years ago - Meridian, MS

I work under a union contract. This contract has been violated by one of our union officials and I am seeking council to handle this matter in court. The situation is very poorly handled by our union and there are strict but very clear guidelines in our contract that have been blatantly broken. I need to know where I can find a lawyer who handles and is familiar with these kind of issues

1. E. Martin Davidoff

Pro

2

Answered . Check with your State, County, or city bar association. Most associations will have a legal referral service with experienced attorneys along specialty lines. Good luck.

2. Michael S. Haber

Pro

1

Answered . It sounds like you are alleging either that the union breached its duty of fair representation to you, or possibly that both the company and the union breached provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.

In any event, you are looking for a labor lawyer. You can start looking right here on avvo. Click on "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page, then indicate your city and state, and start looking at the qualifications of the lawyers whose names appear.

It is my experience that there are many attorneys who have expertise in these kinds of matters who will not go up against a union because that is their bread and butter. So be sure to inquire about that at the outset.

Good luck to you.

3. Andres Rivera-Ortiz

1

Answered . You need to talk to an employment lawyer in your state to look at your specific situation . A good source to find on one is the National Employment Lawyers Association ( google NELA), they have a feature on their web site to find employment lawyers that represent workers in your state. Good luck