Where do I file an auto claim against the LA County? I accidentally filed claim against CA State instead.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

7 months ago, I was in auto accident with the LA City Bus. About two months ago, I submitted claim against CA thinking it was a State Bus. However, I was wrong and I received a denial letter. Do I submit he claim to 500 W. Temple St? Also, since the claim must be made within 6 months, should I also add info re fact that I tried to submit claim against State due to inadvertent mistake? Will the LA County reject my claim since 6 months has passed?
Help!

1. Adrienne Patricia Allen

24

Answered . You will have to file a Petition For Late Claim ASAP! You can include the fact that you filed with the State by accident with the petition. As far as where, if no one can tell you exactly here on AVVO just call the county andtell them you want to file a claim against the county and they can mail you a form, or you can pick it up. They can also tell you where to file it (with the petition). These petitions are something an attorney should probably do for you. Good luck!

2. Norman Gregory Fernandez

Pro

20

Answered . Most likely it is not a city bus, it is probably an LACMTA bus. You need to verify. You are late so you will have to do a petition to file a late claim which almost always are rejected. The purpose of Government Code 830 and 900 et seq. Is to give notice to a governmental entity of a claim against them and an opportunity to investigate.

My firm has done many LACMTA cases. This is a prime example who no one should attempt to do their own case without a lawyer. Self represented individuals tend to get themselves a whole lot of a little or nothing, instead of giving up a third of decent settlement to a lawyer. It makes no sense to me why individuals want to try complex PI litigation without a lawyer.

3. Sean Michael Patrick

18

Answered . I would get on this ASAP. I believe you can find the appropriate forms online.

4. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

14

Answered . You may have already blown the Statute of limitations but you may ask for a waiver due to your mistake in filing with another state agency. If for some miracle they allow you to present your claim, hire a PI lawyer in LA and stop pushing your luck. Best of luck.

Pro

14

Answered . Get online fast, and fill out the forms.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  6. Wendy Ha Chau

12

Answered . Agree with the attorneys to try to get a petition for late claims but almost always they will reject it.

Google is great!
    here is a link to the claims form for LA County:
    http://ceo.lacounty.gov/RMB/pdf/Forms/cms1_0448...

7. Larry Jim Sidiropoulos

6

Answered . As indicated above by some of my collegues your claim is technically late and you will have to file a Petition to Present Late Claim. As such, I would immidiately seek out the advice of a local attorney. Good Luck.

8. Charles Owen Geerhart

5

Answered . File a Petition For Late Claim-- if agency denies, court would likely grant it.