Where do I begin? Family-based immigration, naturalization, citizenship?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kennesaw, GA

My fiancee and I are looking where to begin this whole process. I am a United States citizen and he is not. He is currently out of the country and we are planning on a wedding in the fall. We have one son together, who is also a U.S citizen, and wish to remain in the United States.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

Answered . You begin by marrying your fiancee and sponsoring him for a green card.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Luis Alberto Guerra

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . Mr. Shusgerman gave you good guidance.

Did your fiance spend time in the US? If so, did he do it 100% legally?

This is very important.

Talk to an immigration attorney after you have read Mr. Shusterman's article and have learned how complicated it is.

4. David Nabow Soloway

Answered . Significantly more information is needed in order to assess immigration-related eligibilities, options and strategies. If your fiance is currently outside the U.S. then his ability to return to the U.S. to become married to you here and then complete the adjustment of status process may depend upon whether he has one of the several nonimmigrant visas, such as an H-1B, that recognizes so-called "dual intent." If he does not have such a visa, then you may need to petition for him to get a fiance visa in order to enter the U.S. and marry you here; alternatively you could go overseas and marry and then go through "consular processing." There really is no substitute for engaging an immigration attorney to learn all of the relevant facts in order to advise about eligibilities, options and strategies.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

5. Tripti Sharad Sharma

1

Answered . K-1 visa for fiance. Marry within 90 days of entry and then apply for AOS. Alternatively, marry and apply for green card or K-3 if the GC process is delayed.

6. Danny Garmo

Answered . Agreed get married in the fall and file for a family petition (I-130) on his behalf. Once this petition is approved the next step is with the National Visa Center (NVC). The entire process can take roughly 9-12 months. Speak to a experienced immigration lawyer to help you out. Good luck!