Where can we find and view an example of a character reference letter to a federal judge?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Memphis, TN

Going to write a character reference letter for a loved one who is going to appear in federal court for sentencing. Where can we find and view an example of a good character reference letter to a federal judge?

1. Stephen Alan Sauer

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . You can Google "character reference letter for court" and find several examples. Here is one site I found. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/character-refere...
    The best suggestion I can give is be truthful and write from your heart. Copying a sample is not going to feel real to the Judge. The Court will be impressed by you stating how you know the Defendant and why you think they are a good person. Tell the Court how the person has changed since their arrest and the good things you have seen.

2. James Juo

2

1

Answered . The purpose of the character reference letter is to give the judge some insight on the kind of person the defendant is. Thus, a truly personal statement is likely to be more persuasive than general statements copied from a sample. You should also date the letter (I once heard a judge remark that he hated undated letters because he did not know if it was a current statement or one from ten years ago).

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . I agree specificallly with the wise comment of Attorny Juo. Undated letters I have heard get ignored.

Good luck to you!