Skip to main content

Where can I read all the laws about what your entitled to as a victim in an auto accident case?

Orlando, FL |

I found a good resource by dept. of financial service in new york that had the kind of stuff I was looking for but my case is in Florida. ( here is that link I know there is more to know than this. ) I want to know my stuff prior to dealing with attorneys rather than just trusting them to handle it .I feel I should know what they will or should be doing for me just like when I call a plumber I learn all about what the problem is so I know if he is a bum. Thanks

Attorney Answers 4


The law referenced in the link you provided is New York's "No Fault Law." Florida has it's version as well (Florida Statute 627.736) but neither law really explains what you are entitled to as a victim in an auto accident case, only what you are entitled to under the personal injury protection coverage of your auto policy. The damages you can recover and claims you can make arising out of an automobile accident are heavily dependent upon the factual situations of your accident and the extent of your injuries. This area of law, especially in Florida, is complicated and I don't know of any single online resource that can provides all this information. Avvo is a good start. Orlando has two resources (that I am aware of) available to the general public to research legal issues. The first is in the Orange County Public Library, downtown on Central Ave. The other, which is very comprehensive, is the law library at the FAMU, also downtown.

Bottom line: Unfortunately, legal issues related to negligence actions, insurance policies, statutes, and the judicial system are more complicated than researching how to repair a fill-valve and flapper (No offense to my plumber friends! ) Attorneys in this area of the law usually offer free consultations. My recommendation would be to meet with an attorney, ask questions, and research from there. That should help you narrow down the issues involved in your particular matter. Also, remember that you don't have to sign a contract with the first attorney you meet and, in Florida, you have the right to cancel the contract within 3 days without owing the attorney any fees, although you may be responsible for actual costs incurred.

The fact that you care about your case and are taking an active interest is admirable. Good luck.

Please note: The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Visiting this site does not create an attorney client relationship between our firm or any of its lawyers and you. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your particular situation.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree


You may contact the Bar Association of the State of Florida and ask if they have any information or pamphlets regarding this subject. Or you may google your inquiry in Florida. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Why don't you talk with a local personal injury attorney. Most offer free consultation, so you can find out exactly what your legal options are instead of trying to understand the sometimes confusing and changing law.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


I doubt if there is any resource on the Internet that will answer your question fully. There are just too many variables involved for a mechanical approach, such as a plumber uses, to be of any value.

If you specify exactly what questions you might have, I am sure that lawyers on this list will answer those questions.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics