Where can I order a new set of my finalized divorce papers?

Lancaster, CA |

I have moved a few times in the past year and I cant seem to find my finalized divorce papers. Where can I go to order a new set and what information do i need to have ready to get a new set?

My colleagues are correct. You should have your case number ready and then call the Lancaster Family Law Clerk's office to verify that your case is still there. If it is, then go there in person, fill out the request form/card and the Court staff will bring you your file. You fold over the pages you want copied. Bring cash because the copies are 50 cents per page. If you need a certified copy of the Judgment, then it's some additional nominal fee (I want to say $15, but not sure).

However, if the Clerk tells you that your file is already "archived," then you will have to take a drive downtown to obtain a copy of your Final Judgment. Upon your arrival to 111 North Hill Street (Stanley Mosk Courthouse), the usually nice people at the Information Desk will provide you with a map to get to the Archives Building, which is across the street (you take an elevator below street level and records are kept in a dungeon-like room--remember to be nice to all the court staff as they can make your life a lot easier.) :)

By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

Go to the court where it was filed and get the file. They charge for copies.

This is just my opinion and not a comprehensive answer. You assume the risk because this answer may not apply to your situation depending on the facts.

Make sure that you bring the case number with you, when you go to the Court where the divorce was granted, to purchase a copy of the divorce judgment. If the case is an old case, it may have been removed from the Court and filed in the County Archives. It would be a good idea to call the clerk of the Court, with the case number, to determine where the case file is before making the trip. If the case is in the County Archives, find out where the Archives are located, so that you may go there to purchase a copy of the judgment.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.