Where can I obtain an Apostille?

Summerfield, NC |
Filed under: Estate planning

My husband passed away in France and the bank needs an Apostille to certify the death cert.

Contact the closest French embassy and hopefully they can help you.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

I have had to obtain one for an Italian client needing to give a power of attorney to a family member to close on his home in Italy. The Apostilles are issued by the Secretary of State. Here is the link for further information...http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/authen/aposinfo.aspx

The information is made available by Sabrina Winters, Attorney at Law, (publisher) for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. There is no attorney client relationship between you and Sabrina Winters, Attorney at Law. The information provided should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney retained in your state. The publisher is not advising or suggesting that any of the information provided be acted upon.

In addition to my colleagues' responses, we have been able to do this through a Consul office. You can see here, for the Consulate Office that handles your area: http://www.immihelp.com/visas/schengenvisa/french-consulates-usa.html

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Wills and estates topics