Where can I go for free/low cost legal help in Portland, Oregon? What is my best next step? My former landlord is suing us.

Asked over 5 years ago - Portland, OR

Our former landlord came to the property 4 times without notice, several occasions landscapers/workers came over without notice. As well,the landlord visited/inspected/worked 35 documented times in one year with notice. The windows were not in good repair, they shook with the wind, the house would not heat, wind howled through the house, I have photographs of the 3" space between the window and the window frame. We asked the landlord, in writing to repair the windows and doors, she denied our request, and gave us some weather stripping (HA!) Our heating bills were $600.00/month. When we moved out, upon a lawyers suggestion, we did not pay to refill the oil (500$ in oil)citing these numerous offenses (visits without notice, habitability, quiet enjoyment. She is suing us for the oil. Help?

1. Andrew N Harris

Pro

Answered . If you're looking for free/low cost legal help in the Portland area, you may want to see if the law school at Lewis & Clark has any legal clinics that might be able to help you out. I know they have a very low cost clinics for other matters, like starting up businesses; they may also have a clinic for small disputes, like yours. Alternatively, the Oregon State Bar has some good information for consumers about legal topics, along with links to where to find low cost legal help, here: http://www.osbar.org/cao.

*Please understand that this is not legal advice, and please do not treat it as such.*