Where can i get a free service of a lawyer here in melbourne,fl?a have a misdemeanor charge of selling alcohol to minor

Asked over 2 years ago - Melbourne, FL

it was a sting operation and i was immediately terminated from my job.i have a sheduled hearing on july 30 and i dont know if i have to plead guilty or not.i dont want this to appear on my record for the rest of my life and jeopardize my job hunting.please help me

1. Annemarie Rose Rizzo

Pro

7

1

Answered . If you can't afford the services of a lawyer then when you go to court you will want to request a public defender. At that time the court will allow you to fill out an application to determine if you are elgible for a public defender. If you are concerned about jobs etc you will definitely want to seek the advice of an attorney before you enter any pleas. Do not just plea in court on your first day unless ALL of your questions have been answered.

2. Jeffrey David Boston

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . Being appointed to a taxpayer-funded attorney (one who works for the Office of the Public Defender) is the only way to get what could relatively be defined as "free" representation (you are still required to pay a small fee to the government entity). However, you cannot be appointed unless you are indigent (a euphemism for poor), and even if you are, you still may be able to afford the services of a private attorney. How? You have been accused of a misdemeanor, which is almost always less costly than a felony, sometimes much less so. Feel free to contact me at 321-795-4232 or JeffBostonLegal1@gmail.com. I am based in Brevard County and 14 years experience, including years as both a public defender and a prosecutor.

Jeff Boston Legal (321.795.4232)
  3. John Skyler Riordan

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague, ask the judge for a public defender.

4. Perry L. Cameron Jr.

2

Answered . I agree. If you do not have the money to hire a private attorney, the judge will appoint a public defender to represent you.