Skip to main content

Where can i find work with this conviction it is so hard to find work now. i am a chef by trade and cant get a job im am good at

Montebello, CA |

I had a heated arguement with my wife lots of name calling foul mouth words threats to each other but no hitting or weapans cops were called i was arrested for domestic violence
and it ruiend my life cant find any work but still with my family

Attorney Answers 3


If you are on probation, try contacting your probation officer and ask if his or her office has a list of suitable employers who are known for giving second chances to people with convictions. State parole offices may have such information, as well.

They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion based on very limited information. My opinion should not be taken as legal advice. For true advice, we would require a confidential consultation where I would ask you questions and get your complete story. This is a public forum, so remember, nothing here is confidential. Nor am I your attorney. I do not know who you are and you have not hired me to provide any legal service. To do so would require us to meet and sign written retainer agreement. My responses are intended for general information only.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Were you arrested or convicted? You don't have to disclose arrests.

Unless it asks for criminal convictions on the job application, I doubt that the restaurant would do an extensive criminal background check on a chef.

If the issue comes up during an interview, just be honest and explain yourself and describe the steps you took to get back in control of your emotions and become a better man. We all make mistakes.

David Mallen

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

1 comment

David Andrew Mallen

David Andrew Mallen


One more point, and this is personal. I go out of my way to look for vendors and service people who have overcome hardship in their lives, including convicted felons, because everyone deserves a second chance, and I am often inspired by the stories of people who overcame poverty, or hardship, or substance abuse, or even anger management. I came from humble beginnings and my early years were filled with fights and near-misses with the law. I was very rough around the edges. Many people in this world respect hard work and skill, and we care about people in need who are just looking to be productive and work hard. So keep looking, keep your chin up, and don't ever, ever give up!


Unless you are applying for a law enforcement or sensitive government facility job, your employer may not ask you about arrests, only convictions. If you have a conviction, you can probably have it expunged after the passage of a certain amount of time. In the mean time, if you were convicted, disclose it on the application or state "will explain" on the application so that you get a chance to tell the employer it had nothing to do with your honesty or trustworthiness.

If you have gone through some anger management therapy as a result of the arrest, that would be a good thing to disclose as well.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics