Where can I find documentation that someone was the executor of another person's estate?

Asked 12 months ago - Flagler Beach, FL

My mother was executor of her cousin's estate in New York in 1996. There is money in the Office of Unclaimed Funds in N Y State under her name. I have the papers to apply for these funds as my mother's sole heir, but I need proof linking her to the address of her cousin. She never lived with her but did take care of her needs via phone calls. Is there another way to show proof of her relationship to her cousin's address? Thank you. Andrea Kennedy

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Lawrence Jay Davis


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It is possible that the sworn statement, or Affidavit, of a person with actual knowledge will suffice. The person signing the Affidavit should have no financial interest in the matter.

    Answers to questions on this site are not intended to be specific legal advice nor create an attorney-client... more
  2. Carol Anne Johnson

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you know the county where the cousin's estate was probated, they should have the records of the letters of administration that would have named your mother as executor. That should be sufficient since it will also state their relationship.

    Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : carol@caroljohnsonlaw.com : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate,... more
  3. Steven M Zelinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Look in the county records where the estate was "raised"

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is... more
  4. Celia R Reed

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would look at the probate records in the court where the estate was probated.

    Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now