Where can I find documentation that someone was the executor of another person's estate?

Flagler Beach, FL |

My mother was executor of her cousin's estate in New York in 1996. There is money in the Office of Unclaimed Funds in N Y State under her name. I have the papers to apply for these funds as my mother's sole heir, but I need proof linking her to the address of her cousin. She never lived with her but did take care of her needs via phone calls. Is there another way to show proof of her relationship to her cousin's address? Thank you. Andrea Kennedy

It is possible that the sworn statement, or Affidavit, of a person with actual knowledge will suffice. The person signing the Affidavit should have no financial interest in the matter.

Answers to questions on this site are not intended to be specific legal advice nor create an attorney-client relationship. Hiring an attorney is a very important process which requires a high degree of diligence as well as entering into an agreement regarding the services to be provided and the fees to be charged.

Where would I find an Affidavit form to fill out related to the above issue? Or could you provide me with the legal words to use in such a document? Thanks again. Andrea

If you know the county where the cousin's estate was probated, they should have the records of the letters of administration that would have named your mother as executor. That should be sufficient since it will also state their relationship.

Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : carol@caroljohnsonlaw.com : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate, Special Needs: Information provided here is anecdotal and should not be relied upon or considered legal advice. Every matter is different and answers given here are general in nature and may not reflect current Florida law at the time you are reading this posting. Please contact me if you feel you need additional assistance with your matter.

Look in the county records where the estate was "raised"

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/

I would look at the probate records in the court where the estate was probated.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

Where can I find these records? I have been on the Queens County google site but can't find any such place to research this. Thanks.

Celia R Reed

Celia R Reed

Probate is handled through Surrogate's Court. You may need to call them directly if they don't have a website.

Another wild goose chase. They tell you how to become an Executor, create a Will, etc. but NO actual records to show who is Executor of a certain Will. How hard can this be?

Celia R Reed

Celia R Reed

You may need to find someone local to go to the courthouse.

Thanks. I finally got the official site and they sent me a phone number to call. I will do that on Monday. Thanks for your help.

Celia R Reed

Celia R Reed

You're welcome. I would appreciate if you would mark my answer as helpful or best answer. Good luck on Monday.

Wills and estates topics