Where can I find common law doctrines for California law? Mostly for exclusive possession of property and quite enjoyment.

Sacramento, CA |

I've been researching stuff at the library for a law report that I have to turn in for a community college class. We're doing renting property and stuff, and I need citions of statutes for the common law doctrine in Cali for "exclusive possession" and "quiet enjoyment" of property. I learned common law isnt codified (right word?) but it's gotta be written down somewhere right? I'm suppose to be pretending to defend my client whose a lanlord against a bad tenant who says they have exlusive possession of the condo 'cuz of common law. I've looked all over the internets and can't find these anywhere except lawyers talkin about adverse posession. But that isn't helping me defend my fake client. I jsut need a statue or a case. Any help would be really nice. I might even get a "A"! ;-)

The attorney response below is correct. However, if you go to a law library, you can find the Miller & Starr treatises on California real estate, which will be a good place to start You might also find some treatises there on Landlord Tenant law. In those books you will find citations to cases in which you will find discussion of the common law. Good luck.

This is not the forum for homework help. You need to go to a law library and do research. Look at Black's Law Dictionary as well as Blackstone's Law Commentaries. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.

The typical "common law" defenses are largely illusory. In Sacramento, you can visit a law library. AmJur or CJS are "compendiums" of the law, and so are far easier to read than case law. Ask the librarian for either or both of those collections and consult the index. Very well organized.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

Landlord-tenant topics