Where can I find common law doctrines for California law? Mostly for exclusive possession of property and quite enjoyment.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

I've been researching stuff at the library for a law report that I have to turn in for a community college class. We're doing renting property and stuff, and I need citions of statutes for the common law doctrine in Cali for "exclusive possession" and "quiet enjoyment" of property. I learned common law isnt codified (right word?) but it's gotta be written down somewhere right? I'm suppose to be pretending to defend my client whose a lanlord against a bad tenant who says they have exlusive possession of the condo 'cuz of common law. I've looked all over the internets and can't find these anywhere except lawyers talkin about adverse posession. But that isn't helping me defend my fake client. I jsut need a statue or a case. Any help would be really nice. I might even get a "A"! ;-)

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thomas Patrick Quinn Jr

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The attorney response below is correct. However, if you go to a law library, you can find the Miller & Starr treatises on California real estate, which will be a good place to start You might also find some treatises there on Landlord Tenant law. In those books you will find citations to cases in which you will find discussion of the common law. Good luck.

  2. Antoinette Cara Liewen

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is not the forum for homework help. You need to go to a law library and do research. Look at Black's Law Dictionary as well as Blackstone's Law Commentaries. Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal... more
  3. Barry Franklin Poulson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . The typical "common law" defenses are largely illusory. In Sacramento, you can visit a law library. AmJur or CJS are "compendiums" of the law, and so are far easier to read than case law. Ask the librarian for either or both of those collections and consult the index. Very well organized.

    We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I... more

Related Topics


The term property refers to things a person can own or possess. There are two types: real property (real estate) and personal property (everything else).

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Residential property

Residential property is real estate that has been developed or zoned to be used for living, such as single family houses, apartments or mobile home parks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,329 answers this week

3,367 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,329 answers this week

3,367 attorneys answering