Where can I find an attorney who can practice in New York and New Jersey?

Asked about 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

I have a custody hearing in New Jersey but I live in New York, as well I have a child support hearing and family petition (order prortection) in New York. I know I need an attorney but I am unsure where I can have someone who can practice both states.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mary Katherine Brown


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with Attorney Szymanski, except I would add that it might not be more expensive to have separate attorneys because the local familiarity factor may result in more attorney efficiency and less travel time. Moreover, there's no reason the attorneys cannot collaborate to solve the overall problem. You can find attorneys here on Avvo. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more
  2. Galen J Criscione

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are actually many attorneys that are licensed in both states, including myself as well as a lot of other attorneys here on avvo. Feel free to email me if you would like a consultation - gcriscione@lawcrt.com

    This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes... more
  3. Andrzej Piotr Szymanski

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I would suggest that you retain two separate attorneys. You may pay a little more but you will be better off with attorneys that are familiar with the local courts. This web site is pretty good, so is lawyers.com.

    The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes. This content does not create an attorney-client relationship.

    The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Family court and child custody cases

Family court can be the last resort for child custody disagreements when negotiation, mediation, or collaborative law fail to resolve custody disputes.

Samuel Jackson Siemon

Filing for Divorce, What to Expect

Filing for divorce can be a difficult and emotional decision but once you have decided that it must be done, what should you expect? What are the first steps? How long does it take? How... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,520 answers this week

2,937 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,520 answers this week

2,937 attorneys answering