Where can I find an attorney who can practice in New York and New Jersey?

Brooklyn, NY |

I have a custody hearing in New Jersey but I live in New York, as well I have a child support hearing and family petition (order prortection) in New York. I know I need an attorney but I am unsure where I can have someone who can practice both states.

1. There are actually many attorneys that are licensed in both states, including myself as well as a lot of other attorneys here on avvo. Feel free to email me if you would like a consultation - gcriscione@lawcrt.com

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only.

2. I would suggest that you retain two separate attorneys. You may pay a little more but you will be better off with attorneys that are familiar with the local courts. This web site is pretty good, so is lawyers.com.

The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes. This content does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. I agree with Attorney Szymanski, except I would add that it might not be more expensive to have separate attorneys because the local familiarity factor may result in more attorney efficiency and less travel time. Moreover, there's no reason the attorneys cannot collaborate to solve the overall problem. You can find attorneys here on Avvo. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.