Where can I find an attorney who can practice in New York and New Jersey?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

I have a custody hearing in New Jersey but I live in New York, as well I have a child support hearing and family petition (order prortection) in New York. I know I need an attorney but I am unsure where I can have someone who can practice both states.

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

2

4

Answered . I agree with Attorney Szymanski, except I would add that it might not be more expensive to have separate attorneys because the local familiarity factor may result in more attorney efficiency and less travel time. Moreover, there's no reason the attorneys cannot collaborate to solve the overall problem. You can find attorneys here on Avvo. Good luck!

2. Galen J Criscione

3

Answered . There are actually many attorneys that are licensed in both states, including myself as well as a lot of other attorneys here on avvo. Feel free to email me if you would like a consultation - gcriscione@lawcrt.com

3. Andrzej Piotr Szymanski

2

1

Answered . I would suggest that you retain two separate attorneys. You may pay a little more but you will be better off with attorneys that are familiar with the local courts. This web site is pretty good, so is lawyers.com.

The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes. This content does not create an attorney-client relationship.