Where can I find a lawyer who specializes in small businesses incorporation and allows for CROP / registered agents in PA?

Allentown, PA |

I want to open a small business - single member LLC. I do not want to use my home address so I will need a CROP and also a registered agent. When I called one lawyer to help me file, he said he only charges $75 with free registered agent service and I wouldn't need an operations agreement (not required in PA). However, the lawyer sounded very old and said he does not have many clients that are internet companies (which is what I plan on doing). He also operates out of his home. I called another registered agent on the state's website (where I found the first one), but I'm hesitant because the second agency (not a law firm) was charging $199 to file it for you (not including the $125 fee for the state) and $99 for the registered agent service. Why the big discrepancy?

1. You are at a great site, but the wrong part of the site. Go to the top or the bottom of the page to the "Find a Lawyer" section and review some profiles and contact those that interest you. Fees vary according to age, experience and various other factors. Decisions made on the basis of price alone are usually regretted.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

2. Michael has given you great advice. Go to the "Find an Attorney" feature above, and then use it to find an attorney that meets your criteria. When you do, contact them using this website.

This advice is for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship shall be formed as a result of the answer above.

3. I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, the prices you are being quoted appear incredibly low. Most lawyers won't act as registered agents anymore, as you can get that non-legal service cheaply from companies that do nothing else. The incorporation work is generally more expensive. You can do the filing yourself, if you like - however, you do get what you pay for. Internet-based businesses have a number of unique issues, such as privacy, security and advertising problems that other businesses do not have. You should find a lawyer with experience in those areas. I find that my internet business clients run into problems they never expected - make sure you have a good attorney, accountant and insurance agent working with you as an advising team.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

Civil rights topics