Skip to main content

Where can I find a lawyer to take an appeals case pro bono? In ST. Louis County?

Saint Louis, MO |

A public Defender was used and there was 3 guilty charges and 1 not guilty charge from the jury on 4 felony charges, and We feel totally let down and raped by the public defender. There are many issues that make way for a clear appeal and maybe even a mistrial.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The Public Defender may file a notice of appeal for you. That is standard procedure in many states. If you do not want to continue with the PD, you may be able to get a referral from that office for court appointed counsel. That depends on the local rules for PD and conflict free counsel.
You could contact the local bar association and ask for a referral or pro bono counsel.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is advisable to consult with an attorney with full disclosure of relevant facts for a comprehensive leagl opinion.

Robert Kinsey Taylor Jr

Robert Kinsey Taylor Jr


You have a right to a public defender on direct appeal. You do not have the right to an attorney of your choosing. So unless there is a conflict of interest with the public defender's office, your choices are (1) public defender or (2) hiring a private attorney. Because of the existence of a public defender's office, it is exceedingly unlikely that there is any sort of private pro bono help for a criminal appeal.

Robert Kinsey Taylor Jr

Robert Kinsey Taylor Jr


(I should clarify -- you do not have the right to an attorney of your choosing FOR FREE. You have the right to any attorney you can afford.)


No where, call legal aid.



that is not true I just found an appeal lawyer that will do some pro bono hours for us. I just looked up pro bono lawyers in St. Louis, This man has been award awards for his pro bono work!


This is Legal Services of Eastern Missouri. Contact them to find out if they will do an appeal pro bono.

Also, the public defender system in Missouri has an appeals division, which I believe is separate from the local office you dealt with in St. Louis County. You should contact that office to see if they can handle the appeal, even though St. Louis County Public Defender's office handled the trial.


Disclaimer: Contact me at (314) 645-7900 or at to discuss the above answer in more detail if you wish. But if you want legal advice, you will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on the above answer or any other answers on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Therefore, I provide the information in this web site for informational purposes only. The information does not constitute legal advice. The use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship with me. Further communication with our attorneys through AVVO, our website at, and/or e-mail may not be considered as confidential or privileged.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer