Skip to main content

Where can I find a free estate/will attorney in Dayton, Ohio?

Dayton, OH |

My friend is unemployed and her dad just passed a month ago. Her dad wrote a will and she is the executive/administrator of the will. She didn't have any money to handle this. Where can she find a free attorney in Dayton, Ohio? Or, any possibility that she can handle it by herself without spending any money to complete this as soon as possible?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Typically attorneys for estates in probate matters are paide from the assets of the estate. Making these arrangements would be a proper topic to cover at an initial consultation.

    Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please rmember to designate a best answser.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

  2. Your friend doesn't need any money, but she won't find an attorney to work for nothing if her father's estate had any assets. Attorneys get paid from the proceeds of the estate, at the end, after the court has approved the fee. Some attorneys will even advance the filing fee.

    If it is an insolvent estate and there is nothing to inherit, she is not required to undertake the job. But if there are any assets at all, she will get paid for her services as executor. So if she is unemployed and has time on her hands, she will at least have an opportunity to collect some money for her work as executor. And if there are any creditors, she gets paid before the creditors. You are welcome to contact our office if you wish. We will be glad to speak with you about your situation at no cost.

    Mr. Huddleston is an Ohio-Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law, with offices in Columbus and Dayton, serving client families and private business owners throughout Ohio. He may be contacted directly by phone toll-free at 888.488.7878 or by email CLH@HUDDLAW.COM. Mr. Huddleston responds to Avvo questions as a public service to help educate and provide general guidance to questioners, but his responses are not legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. MY colleagues have provided you with sound advice. If the estate has few assets, there is usually a simplified probate procedure available. Contact the probate court to find out about self-help options for low asset cases.

    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con

  4. An attorney is generally paid out of the assets of the decedent's estate. If your friend's father's estate has assets, those can be used to hire an attorney. She could call the Dayton Bar Association or the Ohio Bar Association for a reference. In addition, she could contact the University of Dayton School of Law to ask if they presently have a Wills and Trusts program whereby indigent individual are assisted by law students with supervision from a professor/licensed attorney.

    Finally, she may contact my office for a free 15 minute consultation.

    Good Luck.

    The foregoing does not establish an attorney client relationship with Attorney Stephen D. Gregg. The information given in Attorney Stephen D. Gregg's answer is not legal advice and is only given for educational purposes.

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics