Skip to main content

Where can i find a divorce lawyer,that my wife would have to pay for since i only work 10 hours a week...

Lynn, MA |

i got married about 2 years ago.....she is a CNA......she makes about 60k a year...........i dont even know if she has been paying taxes...........i only work 10 hours a week....i get $200 in food stamps...........4 months into the marrage she then tells me she has AIDS....i have not been tested...out of fear.....i also want allomoney....?????????

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I am sorry you are going through this. I strongly urge you to speak with a local family law attorney who can explain the divorce process and really put into focus what things you may or may not be able to obtain during you divorce. I wish you all the best.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


always great counsel


You should begin by calling local divorce attorneys directly. Many great attorneys can be found here on Avvo, do a search in your city for divorce attorney.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


great counsel


I agree with my colleague.


I am sorry that you are going through this, many divorce attorneys in and around Boston will file a limited appearance representation with the goal of having their (your) motion for attorney fees paid by the opposing party. If that doesn't work there are several legal aid offices from Harvard Defenders to Middlsesex legal services that can help you. Take care and wish you all the best, also please get tested, it is much better to know and begin treatements if necessary, life is precious.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


You're not very likely to get alimony out of a 4-month marriage, but you MAY be able to file a fault-based divorce and then sue her if she knowingly transmitted the disease. Hopefully, you don't have HIV/AIDS and it doesn't doesn't come to that; but you should get tested ASAP!

As far as getting her to pay for your lawyer's fees, that is typically done by motioning the court to issue such an order during the divorce process.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer