Where can I find a copy of the policy?

Hampton, VA |

I was just caught for shoplifting at sears(yes very stupid),the item cost 19.99. I was told by the Loss prevention staff on duty that because the item was under $20 they would not prosecute because they only prosecute for items that are $20. However during that time the supervisor called and told them to call the police. On the way out one of them mentioned to me that the policy states they only prosecute for $20 or more. Can anyone verify this for me or let me know where I might find a copy of this policy?

Are you talking about the Sears store policy? That's probably not necessarily a document that's published and available to the public. It may be just something they do (or they decide on a case-by-case basis). Private parties can do whatever they like. If they go against their own "policy," you can't do much about it.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

When you get to court, your lawyer can subpoena any documents related to the case, such as the store's loss prevention manuals and procedures. Unfortunately, this "policy" isn't legally binding on the court or the prosecutor and probably doesn't give rise to a defense.

If you cannot afford to hire an experienced local attorney, request a public defender when you get to court.

www.alecrose.com

The store policy makes no difference to your case. The law in Virginia, regardless of any store policy, is the same whether you steal 20 cents worth of merchandise, or $199.20 worth of merchandise. You have committed petit larceny.

You should contact a local criminal defense attorney to discuss your case. Do not speak to anyone else about your charges except a criminal defense lawyer.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

James Garrett
Garrett Law Group, PLC
http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
jd@garrettlawgroup.com
(757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.