When your final papers say upon granting and filing of judgement of divorce - does that mean after judge stamps and filed?

Buffalo, NY |
Filed under: Divorce

Or does it mean as soon as papers were signed?

After it's signed by the Judge and filed with the Clerk.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

Yes. Filing of judgment is in the County Clerk's office.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

Nothin is official until entered by the Clerk.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Judgment was signed by a judge on a certain date. The filing date is the effective date of the divorce when it was recorded by the court clerk.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Recommended articles about Divorce