When you hire counsel and do your homework why is he then allowed to give it to a lesser qualifed attorney on his staff?

Santa Barbara, CA |

when you hire counsel and do your homework why is he then allowed to give it to a lesser qualifed attorney on his staff?

1. Different issues are appropriately handled by different people at different levels of experience. It's impossible to handle a caseload without delegating. If you insist that one lawyer should do everything on your case, you are going to have to negotiate that as part of the retainer contract, and you are going to have to pay more.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

2. That is what happens. The day to day stuff is often given to lesser experienced attorney's/. This is something you need to discuss before you hire the lawyer. I handle all cases myself and it is a fair question to ask who will be handling your case.

3. Think of the typical legal matter as involving a bundle of different tasks. For instance, you may want the top lawyer you selected to handle the trial, questioning witnesses and making the summation to the jury, but do you want him to be doing all the preparatory work such as going through boxes of old documents provided in discovery or the legal research involved in making a motion (and paying his rate which might be two or three times of the junior attorney or paralegal the matter is delegated to)?

Of course, just like a restauranteur, the attorney you hired is responsible for the final product, so he must hire and supervise competent staff so you're not figuratively getting a bad product if the sous chefs, waitstaff and dishwasher aren't doing their jobs properly.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

4. If you hire an attorney, as opposed to a law firm, you certainly have the right and expectation that that attorney will handle your case unless your written attorney-client agreement provides otherwise. However, generally, you pay for that privilege because all services will be rendered at that attorney's rate which is usually higher.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

5. I bill at $465 per hour. My Sr. Associate with ten years or experience bills at $250 per hour. My young associate bills at $165 per hour. My certified paralegal bills at $95 per hour.

A good firm will pick the right person for the right job. The "right person" is not always the person working at $465 per hour. You suggest that giving a project on your matter to another attorney is giving it to a less qualified attorney on the staff. Not true. A less experienced attorney is not necessary the less qualified person to do the task.

I can write good discovery, but I have not done so for a couple of years. I have associate attorneys who do it every day, and are far more qualified to do it than I am, while I am far more qualified to create the discovery strategies, formulate the discovery plan, and review and revise the discovery prepared by my associate to be sure it is consistent with the plan I created.

Very few successful businesses operate without effective delegation. I believe you are being somewhat short-sighted if you think the best way for your case to be handled is to have the one person you first met be the one doing every aspect of the case work.

If that is your expectation, you need to make that clear at the outset. If you go to the dentist, it is rarely the dentist that does the teeth cleaning. If you go to an accountant, it is rarely the CPA the was grinding through the financial documents. If you go to a medical facility, the doctors spend very little time with any particular patient, but the staff takes the blood pressure, pulse and temperature. The point is that business operates through delegation, and you need to expect the same in the law business. If you want something special, like one person working on your case and no one else, you need to make that clear at the outset, and you will likely pay for that service either by paying more money, or having some attorneys simply unwilling to work under those conditions.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.