When you hire an immigration attorney, do you have to pay all his fees upfront before he files the case ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Wichita, KS

Hello , I am still in school , i met my wife and we got married a few months ago , I am on F - 1 visa and my wife is American , I could fill out the forms myself , its not that hard but i feel my comfortable to have an immigration lawyer to do it for me and file my SOS case , we have talked to a couple so far , they want all their fees upfront before they file the case , I offered to pay half of it right now , and the rest when i guarantee he comes to the interview with us or at least i get the receipt , but they told me that no lawyer would mail your case to LUSCIOUS before he gets all the money he wants upfront ! ! is this true ? what if I am a student now and i want to pay the fees in three payments , can i find a lawyer to work with me ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It really depends on the attorney, but yes, most of the time you can pay your fees in installments.

    Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact... more
  2. Rebecca T White

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I believe you already posted this question. But yes, you should likely be able to find an attorney to work with you.

  3. David B Pittman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This question is showing up under medical malpractice. Not sure why.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,847 answers this week

3,295 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,847 answers this week

3,295 attorneys answering